Tuesday, March 11, 2014

BUFFALO CHICKEN SALAD SANDWICHES


I've been trying to use my cookbooks more often.  I find recipes online, but neglect my constantly growing collection of cookbooks.  Do you ever buy one, read it cover to cover and earmark recipes to make?  Then, do you NEVER OPEN THAT COOKBOOK EVER AGAIN?  Yeah, me neither.  Except I always do that.  Oops.  Message to loved ones reading this: please keep buying me cookbooks as gifts.  Please and thank you.

I have quite a few Cooking Light cookbooks and this one contains the easiest and most hassle free recipes.


This recipe immediately caught my eye because it uses my favorite cooking shortcut: store bought rotisserie chicken!  And it includes buffalo.  You can never, ever, EVER go wrong with buffalo flavored anything

Now, I may perhaps be nitpicking here, but whenever I see a "buffalo" recipe that only uses hot sauce, not buffalo sauce, I feel slightly annoyed.  Hot sauce does not equal buffalo flavor.  I substituted Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce and it was perfect.  Other changes: I used the entire chicken, not just 2 cups.  I used more celery, less mayo, more buffalo.  I seasoned each sandwich and its lettuce and tomato with salt and pepper.  Oh, and I used ciabatta rolls instead of boring hamburger buns.


Ingredients

1/2 cup reduced fat mayonnaise (I don't use reduced fat, I use Duke's regular!)
3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup buffalo sauce (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chopped celery
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded and discarded of fat and skin
romaine lettuce
tomato slices
salt and pepper to taste
rolls for serving

Combine mayo, blue cheese, buffalo sauce, salt and pepper in large bowl.  Taste, then add additional buffalo sauce or salt and pepper if needed.  Add chicken and celery, gently combine with your hands.  Serve on toasted bun with lettuce, tomato and additional salt and pepper or buffalo sauce. 


No comments:

Post a Comment