Thursday, March 13, 2014

STEAK SALAD WITH HOMEMADE CREAMY AVOCADO DRESSING


You guys, I am so proud of myself.  I made salad dressing!  And it was so darn delicious.  I know, I know, people do it allllllll the time and I am no pioneer.  However, I think it deserves just a little bragging.  Okay, typing with one hand is too difficult.  Time to stop patting myself on the back and continue telling you about this meal!


There's just something about a cold, crunchy salad with slices of warm, juicy steak that makes people happy.  I've had my eye on this "homemade avocado ranch dressing" recipe ever since I spied it on Pinterest.  Not sure it officially qualifies as ranch, but then again what's the definition of ranch?  The dressing doesn't really have a ranchy flavor.  It tastes like avocados.  I know, mind blowing, right?

For the steak: season and grill.


For the dressing: avocados, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, fresh garlic, extra virgin olive oil, salt and hot sauce.  I used a handheld immersion blender (greatest invention ever), but a regular blender will work just as well.


Oh and since it's a STEAK salad, you should serve it with macaroni and cheese.  Right?  Doesn't everyone do it that way?  Seriously, it was the perfect accompaniment. 


Ingredients

Steak:
1 lb flank steak, trimmed
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2-3 tablespoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
a pinch or two of coarse kosher salt

Salad dressing:
1 large avocado
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (I squeezed about half the lemon in to avoid browning of avocado!)
1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons hot sauce (I used red AND green Tabasco)

Rub steak all over with olive oil.  Sprinkle generously with steak seasoning and rub in.  Sprinkle on salt.  Repeat on other side.  Place in large ziploc bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or 8 hours if you've got a better memory than this blogger).  Preheat grill to medium high heat.  Cook on each side for about 5 minutes for medium rare.  Allow to rest for at least 10 minutes, then slice into strips.

Place all dressing ingredients in blender and blend until desired consistency.  Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.

Serve steak over romaine and tomatoes.  Sprinkle with blue cheese and drizzle with dressing.  Grind fresh salt and pepper all over salad. 


Perfectly mixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment