Sunday, November 3, 2013

CHICKEN ENCHILADA SPAGHETTI

Oh my gosh you guys.  I was so excited to share this recipe with you.  I've been making this spaghetti for years and I've got the recipe memorized.  However, today, the day I decided to photograph and post it for you, I screwed it up.  I used three cans of enchilada sauce instead of two, and the end result was a soupy mess.  I should work on my memorization skills.  This really is a delicious recipe, but my pictures of runny pasta will not convince you.  How about the fact that I make it every two weeks?  Does that convice you?  And how I always make an extra big batch so I can bring it to work for lunch.  Now do you believe in the deliciousness?  Good.  Let's move on.

So there's an easy way to make this meal, and there's also a SUPER easy way.  Today, I chose SUPER easy.  I used this instead of raw chicken:
So simple.  Saute some onions, peppers and chopped green chiles then add this frozen chicken.  It cooks quickly and bonus: you don't have to cut raw chicken into pieces!

This recipe calls for enchilada sauce and I always use Old El Paso, so you should too.  I'm not trying to be bossy, it's just the tastiest option.

You know how I'm always raving about one pot dishes?  Well, this isn't one of them.
Make room on the stove people, you are going to need two spots to make this meal.  Do you notice the THREE cans of enchilada sauce in the background?  I don't know about you, but I think they look very smug, just sitting there knowing they are about to ruin my meal.  Like I said before, let's move on.

Ingredients

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped (this time I used frozen chopped onions and peppers)
2 small cans chopped green chiles, drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 heaping tablespoon cumin
1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
3/4 pound of dry spaghetti (regular spaghetti works best, not thin)
2 (14 oz) cans red enchilada sauce
1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese

Cook spaghetti according to directions on box for al dente.  While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add chicken, onions, green chiles and salt and let cook until vegetables are soft and chicken is cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.  Stir in cumin, cayenne, paprika and chili powder.  Pour in both cans enchilada sauce.  Use wooden spoon to break apart pieces of chicken.  Simmer this sauce for about 7-10 minutes.  Turn the heat off, then add the drained pasta to the skillet in small batches using tongs. Add cheese and mix carefully until everything is combined.  Serve immediately.

I hope you enjoyed the consolation pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment